4.12.2011

Guest Post: Felt Pencil Case

Today I have a guest post from Kim of Skates and Stitches for a felt pencil case.

********************

I'm so thrilled to be one of Pixie Mama's sponsors this month. Us red-heads have got to stick together right? So I totally love crafting, but my other obsession is stationary. I tried making a nice little pencil case out of felt and I'm pleased to say it worked! So here's a little tutorial so you can carry your pencils around in style.

What you'll need: 
- Three different colours of felt 
(1 large piece for the case and 2 smaller pieces for decoration so scraps may be ideal here).
- Thread. 
- Invisible thread. 
- A nice button. 
- 2 popper buttons. 

Take one large piece of felt and fold a third of it up on itself and pin it into place. The bottom section will make the pouch and the top section will make the flap. The fabric should be wrong-side out for this as you will turn it the right way after sewing. Then sew along the two outer edges. 

Pinned up

  Now turn the pouch outside-in and you have your basic shape. On the flap sew a small hem on each side to make sure that the flap is the same size as the pouch (which will obviously be smaller now that it's been sewn and turned outside-in). Use a contrasting thread as these stitches will be seen and you want it to be pretty. Then sew a popper button to the case, with one half at the two top corners of the flap and the other two halves on the bottom corners of the pouch. Use invisible thread to stitch they because button stitches aren't pretty. Make sure the pouch looks nice, closes properly and isn't bumpy before the buttons are stitched on.

 Sewed up with buttons 

Now use the other two colours of felt to make a decoration for the front of the case. Make three circles in decreasing size, two from one colour of felt and one from the other. Arrange them so they look like a target and place a button in the middle (so obviously you want your smallest circle to still be bigger than your button). Stitch this using the contrasting thread to the front/middle of the flap, slightly overlapping the pouch.

 Button detail 

And that's it! You're done!

Finished product 

And you don't have to use it as a pencil case, you can keep anything you want in it. I think it would also make a nice make-up case. Happy crafting!

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Yay I won your giveaway! Thank you so very much, I can't wait to wear those pretties all summer long... :)
    xo, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! I'll have to try is soon.

    And Polly, I love your header!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh this is a D.I.Y I definitely want to try! I think its within my crafting abilities as well! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)