7.11.2011

Living Life Your Way.... Interview with Ashley from After Nine To Five

I've been working hard the last few months at overcoming my fears and following my dreams. So I'm running a series of interview with inspiring people to see what part fear has played in their life and how they've overcome it to live life their way...

**********************************


Hey! Tell us a little about yourself. I'm Ashley, owner of the blog After Nine To Five and the online shop. Last October, I made the jump to being self-employed and have never looked back. After spending plenty of time in Corporate America, I figured it was time to stop pretending I was happy and pursue the dream I had since I was in high school: working for myself. I'm currently in the process of tying another thing I love - collecting vintage items - into my work by opening up an online vintage store as well.

Is the life you lead now the life you've always dreamt of? Not by a long shot. I wasn't totally unrealistic when I was younger, but I had big dreams of moving out of my state, being done with school, and having a solid career. None of that has happened yet. I'm still in school, still living in Wisconsin, and still trying to fully figure out what I want out of my career. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy. My life has always been on a constantly changing path with no real final destination - just a hope that it will be some place I'm happy. And I like it that way.

When you have faced difficulties, what has been your inspiration to keep going? My husband is probably my biggest inspiration. He believes ine me no matter how many tears I cry, no matter how much I want to kick and scream, no matter how much I just want to drop everything I'm doing and walk away at times. Other than that, I always try to remind myself that I never got anywhere by just sitting around and crossing my fingers.

Fear affects us all at some point. What part has fear played in your life and how have you overcome it? Fear is actually a big motivator for me. I absolutely hate being consumed by fear in any way. So I generally try to put myself in a position that may make me anxious/fearful. For someone that was diagnosed with GAD (General Anxiety Disorder), this may be the worst idea possible. But for me, it works. I force myself to get over it pretty quickly if I have no other option.

What advice would you offer on following your heart and living your dreams? You have to believe in yourself when no one else will. You have to stand tall behind your beliefs, your wants, and your needs when everyone else is mocking them. Know that you're worth it, know that the end is worth fighting for, and know that when the going gets tough, it'll keep getting tougher. But it's worth it to stick it out.

What do you think are the three most important things you need to lead a happy and radiant life? Can I just go with one thing? I'm sure I could pick three, but I think there's on that is the most important: believing. Believe in the impossible, the unrealistic, the futuristic, and most importantly, believe in yourself. Without believing you can get through things, or that the end is worth it, or that your life, your creations, and everything that you are is worth it ... you've got nothing.

BLOG SHOP TWITTER



3 comments:

  1. Love this feature, thanks for sharing girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Loved reading this!
    And, love the new look over here!
    Happy Monday ladies! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for stepping off the corporate ladder, Ashley!! I've jumped off about 3 years ago and I know that it can be difficult at times. But the rewards just keep on comin' don't they?!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)