3.07.2012

xl sponsor feature - bird in a tree creations


Tell us a little about you and your business.

My business is Bird in a Creations and it is pretty much in the fledgling stage. I think a little background on how I got here is in order! I find it very interesting to look back on the paths that the Universe has taken us down to lead us where we are now. When I was little, about 6 or 7, I used to love to make little books. I would write a story, illustrate it and make a cover out of old cardboard that I would cover with scraps of my moms fabric. I never did anything creative after that until I was about 23! I moved to Florida and needed a job! I somehow fell into working at a children's art museum. This sparked my creativity again working with so many talented teachers and children with great imaginations and no fear. I worked my way up to teaching art camps, running art birthday parties and a very successful mommy and me class. After about 5 years of working there I started my own little art business- Dragonfly Imports. I made decoupaged plant pots that I sold at craft fairs and to brides as wedding favors. That was rather short lived but I had a taste of making and selling my goods- which I loved! Fast forward to when I was 33, got married, had my first baby and 15 months later had my second baby. Life was great but something was missing! I yearned to create again, hence, Bird in a Tree Creations. I make soap, jewelry- but my great love is mixed media and assemblage. I look forward to filling my store with more of these lovlies!! 
 



Where did the name ‘Bird in a tree’ come from?

I wanted a name that had meaning to me. I was no longer the lone dragonfly. Then it popped into my head one day! I have a 4 year old named Willow and a 3 year old named Wren- Bird in a Tree Creations! 
 
Where do you see yourself in five years time?

In five years time I would like to have my own studio/gallery. I would like to offer kids art parties and have soulful art classes instructed by amazing women from around the world. This inspiring space would also be a gallery displaying art from women and children and be super accessible to all walks of life. (not a snooty art gallery!)

Who or what is your inspiration?

The women that inspire me the most are the awesome artful mommies out there in the world! They show me that having a family and filling your creative soul at the same time is totally possible! They give me the strength and encouragement to keep moving forward!

Asides from work, what else keeps you busy?
My girls! They are super full of energy! LOL We live in South Florida so we are lucky enough to have great weather all the time in which me and my girls love to go on walks and collect cool nature items.


What’s a crafty skill you’d like to learn but haven’t?

I have tried so many crafty things in search of my passion, so I don't really think there is anything out there (for now!) that I would like to learn. Although, I have never used a potters wheel or welded metals! Those would definitely be somethings I would try!



♥♥ stay in touch! ♥♥ follow this blog ♥♥ twitter ♥♥ facebook ♥♥ shop ♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)