Slow cookers are one of the easiest ways to make a tasty meal, and are especially handy for those days when you know you're going to have a jam-packed evening with no time to cook dinner. This particular recipe is very low on prep time, but ends up delicious.
Round Steak Sauerbraten
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 Tbsp plus 1.5 tsp brown sugar
- 2.5 cups cold water, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 2.5 lbs. boneless beef top round steak, cut into 3" x 1/2" strips
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 10 cups hot cooked egg noodles
Please note: This recipe is for a 5-quart slow cooker and yields 10 servings. I don't have a slow cooker that big, or need to feed that many, so in the pictures you will see my scaled-down amounts. Just scale all amounts down proportionally if you have a smaller slow cooker.
- Your slow cooker of choice
1. In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine the gravy mix, brown sugar, 2 cups water, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Mix.
2. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; stir into gravy mixture. Cover and cook on low for 6.5 to 7 hours, or until meat is tender.
3. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes, or until thickened. (this is a good time to cook those egg noodles).
4. Discard bay leaves. Serve over noodles. Enjoy!