- Depression is always going to have a hold on you
- You're just not good enough
- The people you're connecting with just don't really care
- Everyone else is better than you
- You never finish anything
- No one will want to buy your art anyway, so why are you painting?
- Nothing is ever going to change
- You'll never have the life you dream of so why even try
I've been working hard on ignoring them. Acknowledging them, writing them down and then kindly telling them to fuck off now please.
In the past I've always taken what my gremlins have told me as gospel. Taken every word to heart and let them call the shots. But no longer.
Most of the time I feel like an impostor... that I'm not really an artist, not really a good mother, not really a good person ...... I feel like everyone else is far more confident and competent than I, and that any minute I'm going to be found out and exposed as an fraud.....
I know deep down that none of this is true. Everyone feels this way sometimes, and others don't see me the way I see myself.
Also, my gremlins are shouting louder now because they know that I'm onto them. I'm following my heart and creating and connecting and LIVING. No longer am I living in their shadow, and they are afraid, they can see that they are losing their power.
I'm painting and creating more than ever, and loving every minute of it. I'm putting myself out here, connecting and making new friends, online and IRL. I'm in the process of setting up my very own website (more on that soon). No longer am I sitting back and letting life pass me by, I am a part of it now.
“We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?…Your playing small does not serve the world.” Marianne Williamson