10.26.2010

Art = Joy

It's only been 7 months since I picked up my paintbrushes again, after I overcame my fear and ignored my gremlins telling me that I was no good. 7 months of finding my way creatively again and re-discovering my creative side. I'd forgotten how much creating something gives me a sense of peace... deep inside, when I'm painting I'm happy and calm. Fitting in some time every day to paint really helps to keep me sane. When I'm feeling blue, or stressed, or nervous, or insignificant. I turn off the computer and I paint. I can loose myself in a painting and nothing else matters. All my problems drift away for a while.



I'm slowly gaining some confidence in my work... I can see a VAST improvement over the last few months. And after 8 years of not having painted I have to expect to be a little rusty. One thing I have to remember is to not compare myself to other artists. I am painting for myself, I do not need (although sometimes I want) others validation. Comparing myself to others only ends in making me feel bad. I am learning to accept my painting as it is... to be happy with what I can do and not wish for more.

Painting really is the best therapy I've ever had!

Here are a couple of photos of some of what I've been working on recently:




6 comments:

  1. Oh honey, I LOVE your art. I so wish I had a talent for art too but alas I really am terrible. I NEED something though as I can feel my black cloud really looming. blessings sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. and they're all so different! love that you're exploring and pushing your own boudneries.

    there is so much energy in that middle one, and so much focus in the first one, and plain happiness and a dash of strength in the last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your art is great, love it <3 I totally undrstand that feeling of calmness I only seem to get when creating, art and (funnily) cakes! Have you thought about sharing your skills and talents in your town? Many children and adults want to create but there aren't affordable spaces to go. You would be great x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! you can really see that you're freeing yourself in these paintings. and yes, one of the biggest things for me has been to not compare myself to other artists. i used to have art from all of my favorite artists pinned up around my studio, but i found it was cramping my creativity. i was trying to be like them rather than letting it come from within.

    best wishes to you!
    juliette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone....

    @Lisa... I'd love to do something like that, but the thought terrifies me! (which probably means I SHOULD do it!!)

    @sue...((((hugs)))) email me if you need someone to chat to

    @Juliette...yes I agree, when I started out painting again, I surrounded myself with other artists work, and found that I was just trying to copy their style, rather then just painting from my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone....

    @Lisa... I'd love to do something like that, but the thought terrifies me! (which probably means I SHOULD do it!!)

    @sue...((((hugs)))) email me if you need someone to chat to

    @Juliette...yes I agree, when I started out painting again, I surrounded myself with other artists work, and found that I was just trying to copy their style, rather then just painting from my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)