11.05.2011

Foodie Post: Peppermint Creams

Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot

Bonfire Night - Its history began with the events of 5 November 1605, when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure.

I've always loved Bonfire Night, some of my earliest memories are of building the bonfire, fireworks and family gatherings. It was always a big night when I was a kid. We'd build a huge fire in our fields at the back of our house, we'd have a BBQ, lots of treats, lots of fireworks and all our friends and family would come. It holds a special place in my memories. This year we're going round to a friends round for a fire, feast and fireworks.

When I was little, every year I'd make these peppermint creams, the recipe was in an old Mr Men cookbook I had. I haven't made them for a few years, but thought it was time to rekindle that tradition. Here's my recipe:

What you need:



1 egg white
3 cups icing (confectioners) sugar
1tsp peppermint extract
2-3 drops green food colouring
milk/dark chocolate

1. Whisk the egg white until frothy but not stiff



2. Mix in the sugar, peppermint and colouring. Knead with your hands until it forms a soft dough


3. roll small pieces in your hands into a ball, then flatten slightly

 
4. Dip one half in melted chocolate, place on greaseproof paper to dry.


5. Enjoy!!




p.s Don't forget to go enter the Dainty Hippo Giveaway!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)