11.10.2010

the power of a kind word

Tumblr_ku1wxl1utv1qzpe8uo1_500_large
{ source }
After last weeks minor blip when I felt really blue, and my gremlins were shouting very loudly, I've been making extra effort to be kind to myself. To speak kindly to myself, to not compare myself with others, to not put crazy expectations on myself.

It's not easy to do all of that some days. I've found myself surfing late at night or early in the morning, looking through blogs and etsy shops.... and comparing myself. Comparing myself unfavourably.

"Why can't I do ...."
"Why am I not that good at..."
"Why don't I get that much done"
"I wish I was her instead of me..."

I'm trying to put a stop to that, harnessing the power of  a kind word, spoken deep in my soul. No more comparing myself.

Asking why I don't get as much done (creatively) as someone who has no children.... 
Asking why I'm not as good at something as someone who's been doing it for years not months....
Wishing to be someone else when I AM ENOUGH

Changing the words of my heart

Being proud of what I HAVE achieved
Seeing how much progress I've made in just  a few months
Celebrating what I do get done in a day (with 3 small children to look after too)
Being content to just be me

What are you doing to harness the power of a kind word?

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see someone posting these feelings. I'm hearing more women talk openly and I think it helps to know that we are all going through the same comparing process. Knowing that makes us all see how ridiculous it is...and yes, I know all what you mean about finding time with children and homeschooling. It is HARD, not impossible but certainly a challenge, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Polly. It's so important to love ourselves. I've read multiple times that we can't love others without first loving ourselves. This resonates with me; makes sense. Good for you for being kinder to yourself. You are worth all the love in your heart. xo -Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, this is easy to fall into doing against ourselves - i slip often - but more and more am able to see little glimpses of my value even when stuck in the 'bad' thoughts so that helps

    and i did start sewing yesterday - am working on a notebook cover cause it seemed like the easiest of all the projects in my head to make - love half of it - hated the front - almost starting smack talking myself again and was able to stop - love what i'd made and started and cut the front half off to be remade anew - kept telling myself i'm in a learning curve and failure is an excellent teacher - thanks again for the inspiration!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful.
    my kind words this year have been - it's the process that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful.
    my kind words this year have been - it's the process that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, this is easy to fall into doing against ourselves - i slip often - but more and more am able to see little glimpses of my value even when stuck in the 'bad' thoughts so that helps

    and i did start sewing yesterday - am working on a notebook cover cause it seemed like the easiest of all the projects in my head to make - love half of it - hated the front - almost starting smack talking myself again and was able to stop - love what i'd made and started and cut the front half off to be remade anew - kept telling myself i'm in a learning curve and failure is an excellent teacher - thanks again for the inspiration!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. onelittlebuffalogirlJune 15, 2011

    Hey Polly. I have an article coming out in the September issue of Juno about loving ourselves as mothers and accepting the flow of things, about accepting that life gets in the way of all the things we'd like to be and do, and that this is actually ok! Do you subscribe? 

    ReplyDelete
  8. onelittlebuffalogirlJune 15, 2011

    By the way, I am actaully Motherfunker, onelittle.....is just my email doo-dah! x

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)