11.29.2010

Living LIfe Your Way....Interview with Mon

I've been working hard the last few months at overcoming my fears and following my dreams. So I'm running a series of interview with inspiring people to see what part fear has played in their life and how they've overcome it to live life their way...





*Hi Mon , tell us a little about yourself.

I'm a listener with a big heart and blunt tongue. After living in Uruguay, Australia, and England, I'm currently in Montenegro, up a mountain, by the sea, with a hubby and toddler. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.


*Aside from your blogs, what else keeps you busy?

Mostly my spirited 2.5 yr-old girl. I'm an Intuitive Mentor, a spiritual life coach of sorts. But that's not a paid gig (yet). I also, take photographs, create mixed media art, crochet, I help bloggers with web/blog design, cook, do yoga, am writing a book, and read, and read, and read. Yet I have strived for simplicity in the last two years, so I aim for not being busy. I spread all the above out thinly. I'm an ideas person, so it takes work to choose focus or a nap instead of something else to do.



*Is the life you lead now the life you've always dreamt of?

No. I once dreamt of being an actress, an educational psychologist, a professional photographer, a natural health therapist (and others!). Many choices were down to trying to push my life into what others thought it should be. Yet when I have allowed myself to be fully me, I have always been about the process. It didn't worry me to 'become something'. To be respectable with a 'proper' career. I love tasting life. When I've been at peace with myself, I have never dreamt too far ahead.



*When you have faced difficulties, what has been your inspiration to keep going?

The belief that this is my one life. Even if you believe in reincarnation, this is still one specific life. I believe it's
precious. I believe it's amazing. I consider myself an optimistic realist. I don't view life with rose-tinted glasses, and I do have a cynical streak. Yet I always trust that something good is around the corner. But we have to be open to receive it. So when I've been at my lowest, I allow the dark emotions, and then work my way out, to be ready. I also view difficulties as opportunities for growth as a person.


*Fear affects most of us at some point. What part has fear played in your life and how have you overcome it?

I'm quite audacious. You can't live life fully if you're timid. Yet I've spent most of life owning the fear of trying to be perfect. I feared for many years not being good enough to be an artist, or writer, or mentor. I used to think if I couldn't do it perfectly, there was no point. And when you think like that, you're consumed in Fear, even if you can't see it. Instead of doing what you love, you put it off. Crazy. It took me a loooong time to work out two simple facts. The doing is everything. And, a satisfying result is not the same thing as a perfect result.



*What advice would you offer on following your heart and living your dreams?

I'm terrible at this sort of advice. Actually, I wrote a post recently, just do it. Synchronicity!



*What do you think are the three most important things you need to lead a happy and radiant life?

This list might change....

An acceptance of and work on your Shadows.
When we walk life wounded, we walk an obstacle-ridden path.
Compassion, for yourself and others. This gives us an enormous capacity for gentleness towards ourselves and empathy with others.
Gratitude for what you already have. Focusing on what you don't have and/or still want to have is living half a life.


*Where can we connect with you?

My main cyberhome is over at Holistic Mama. Doing arty things at Bohemian Shadows. Healing and creating community at Spiral Sisters.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me sweetie! I'm honoured. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mon, I didn't know you had once dreamt of being an actress! I think that's the one new thing I learned about you in this interview. Well, not sure I knew you once lived in Australia, maybe I forgot.

    Anyway, I have to say you have a very good perspective on life and are definitely made of mentor material.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)