11.22.2010

Living Life Your Way....Interview with Pixie Campbell


I've been working hard the last few months at overcoming my fears and following my dreams. So I'm running a series of interview with inspiring people to see what part fear has played in their life and how they've overcome it to live life their way...

This weeks interview is with Pixie Campbell

Photo by Denise Andrade



*Hi Pixie, tell us a  little about yourself.

 I'm a mama, as well as an artist and writer. I love unlearning about art and life, keeping my creative pot stirring, and surrounding myself with kindred souls to enhance my experience of this beautiful, sacred planet.

*Asides from your blog, what else keeps you busy?

I paint, teach my children, write, collaborate with other artists, garden and travel as much as possible 


*Is the life you lead now, the life you have always dreamt of?

 I didn't really ever have a prescription for a dream life. But I'm very pleased with what I have and what I'm able to do. Once I tearfully and truthfully declared that I wanted to make art all of the time, and began doing it, the rest was easy. 


*When you have faced difficulties, what has been your inspiration to keep going?

My children inspire me to gather my energy when I feel low on resources. I never feel I have to be perfect for them, but I do try to have energy for them. The same goes for my creative babies. I work with the animals and their teachings in my art, and so I typically run into the ones who want to help me in my personal life-in dreamtime, in nature, in my backyard. I like to study the medicine they bring by observing their habits and how they adapt. I also run about about 12 miles a week, which is just enough to keep negative energy at bay, and if I'm facing a very difficult challenge, I seek bodyworkers, and healers, as well as ask for help from connected souls. Too many years facing difficulty alone has taught me to reach out. There's always some-thing or some-force ready to aid- this I trust. I find that creating anything at all helps to shift stagnant states of being, as well.


*Fear affects us all at some point. What part has fear played in your life and how have you overcome it?

 I consider myself rather fearless about most things, somehow I have a covenant with trust when fear rears its ugly head. However, when I was pregnant with my first child about six years ago, I was terrified that he would imprint things from my family that would cause him to suffer (as I had). It was my own fear of making mistakes. So out of this terror, I ran in all directions to seek the teachings that would eventually bring me back to trust that I am not my mother, my father, or any of their mistakes. I also accepted, rather religiously, the idea that humans get to make mistakes. Even with our children. And that not allowing mistakes and enduring shame when they do happen (which of course they will) is a recipe for depression and a very conflicted inner life. So a No Mistakes Allowed Ethic is not allowed in our home! :) It's made life so much easier on all of us.

 
*What advice would you offer on following your heart and living your dreams?

Find many ways to open up to your own intuitive guidance. In the ways of Native Americans, we use a practice called journeywork to meet our inner council and totems which in turn help lead me to the information I need to make choices. When ego learns how to step aside, out of the inner conversation, and we learn to distill the truth from all of the messages swirling within us, we can really do no wrong. I don't believe anything happens without imparting an important teaching just for the individual, so I'd encourage your faithful readers to enjoy life as one long continuum of lessons. And, of course, risk doing what you love instead of doing what you or others think you should do!! To me, its the difference between living life awake instead of asleep due to burying the soul's desires. 


*What do you think are the three most important things you need to lead a happy and radiant life?

I would say that's really up to the individual to discover. For me, I feel happiest and most radiant when I'm very comfortable in my own skin. Whatever it takes to be at home within, I try to do that first. I have to live with myself every day, so I may as well learn to like all of my quirky foibles and flaws, as well as my lovely bits. We are all so divine. I do wish every mama and woman could feel it in her bones. Oh, you know, one more thing: Make friends with with women much older than you! They know so much more than we and can be so nurturing when needed.


*Where can we connect with you? 

3 comments:

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)