3.11.2011

Birthday (Party) Guest Post: Roxanne from Bakes-a-lot-Lady

Happy Birthday Polly!!! Although you turning 30 means it will be my turn in 5 years time, eek!
I’ve known Polly for over 24 years now, although she started off as ‘Auntie Elizabeth’ (**am I allowed to say that??!!**) to me. Due to the blurred generations in our family I was lucky enough to have an aunt who was more like a cousin or a sister to me. It was Polly who let me try on her clothes and make up, and curled or straightened my hair depending on whether it was the early or late 90s. I blame Polly for my incessant need to watch Friends, and for my now long-buried love of Sweet Valley Twins books...
Polly made a cake similar to this at a recent family gathering and it tasted delicious! I decided to do what she had done and make a recipe up.


Roxanne's Nutty Apple Loaf Cake


Ingredients
4oz caster sugar
4oz butter, softened
2 eating apples, peeled, cored and grated
2 eggs, beaten
3oz wholemeal flour
2oz self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g peanut butter chips (I used Reese's)

Method
1. Cream together the caster sugar and butter until light and creamy.
2. Add the grated apple and eggs and mix well.
3. Sift in the flours and baking powder and stir until combined (you can use any combination of flour for this cake, although I would recommend using a small amount of white, rather than just wholemeal. Ensure if you use plain flour you add enough baking powder to compensate - about 1 tsp for every 4oz).
4. Stir in the peanut butter chips (if you can't get hold of peanut butter chips, add 100g chopped peanuts and an extra ½oz of sugar, or 2 tbsp of crunchy peanut butter).
5. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 180°C, or until golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean.

NB. This cake can be frozen, but make sure you defrost it thoroughly before eating! (Do not defrost in a microwave unless you want a soggy cake...)


********************
Roxanne is my niece and she blogs at Bakes-a-lot-Lady. Hop on over there and check out the rest of her delicious recipes.

2 comments:

  1. looks so good
    thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)