6.30.2012

guestpost // 5 kids’ movies every millennium child should see

I’m going to say it: they don’t make kids movies like they used to. Sure, the technology is getting better and the graphics are more impressive… but is it just me or is the heart and story missing from most of them? Just me? Probably. But don’t tell me you don’t think the movies we knew as kids (or our parents knew) weren’t just that much better.

Case in point: these are the top 5 kids movies I would make sure any child who ever enters my life (whether as a niece or nephew, or simply the children of friends) sees before I ever sit them down in front of Cars 2.

The Sandlot

Ok, yeah, not the most critically-acclaimed movie. But those horror stories of the monster dog next door, and the adventures of this boy’s baseball team had me hooked. I still get goosebumps every time I hear “for.ev.er. for.ev.er.”

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

This is mainly on my list because my mom really loved watching this with me. It’s a fun little story about a witch played by Angela Lansbury (Murder She Wrote, anyone?) who hopes to stop a Nazi invasion of Britain, while also taking care of 3 kids. What more do you need than magic, animated characters and a flying bed?!

The Nightmare before Christmas

Tim Burtons at his best! Amiright?! Sure, it’s scary at times, and really creepy at others, but it has a great message behind it. And what other film could be both a Halloween and Christmas classic?

A Little Princess

Such a sweet story about a free-spirited little girl orphaned at a girl’s boarding school when her father dies in the war. I cried the first time I watched it. And then I decided I needed to be Sara Crewe when I grew up. Also, it has the best breakfast scene ever (until it’s ruined, that is).

Toy Story

How could I not include this? I’d dare say it’s one of the best movies ever made, for kids or adults!


What are the top kids’ movies you would want any child born today to see?


thanks yael!! be sure to stop by her blog and say hi!

♥♥ stay in touch! ♥♥ follow this blog ♥♥ twitter ♥♥ facebook ♥♥ shop ♥♥

9 comments:

  1. The Neverending Story
    Labyrinth
    The Land Before Time
    The Last Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. o my yes, def the never ending story and labyrinth... i have both and i think i watch it more than my kids....
      but i also love alice in wonderland....and dinosaurs...

      Delete
  2. Seconding Lena's list, especially Labyrinth!
    And I would add The Goonies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second all of these! I think these are perfect! The Little Princess is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE A Little Princess. And Bedknobs and Broomsticks is a classic. Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sandlot is seriously one of my FAVORITES.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.The Sandlot (only the first one though)
    2.Bugsy Malone
    3.E.T.
    4.The Iron Giant
    5.Annie

    I'm a sucker for musicals!

    http://louise-amabilis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favourite movies. I'm sitting under my NBC mink blanket as I type actually! Its got Lock, Shock & Barrel on it :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seconding Lena's list, especially Labyrinth!
    And I would add The Goonies :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)