6.20.2012

guest post // the funny thing of it is

Hi, I'm Julie and I blog over at The Funny Thing Of It Is!
I have a little confession to make, nothing too exciting, most likely over the top ordinary & boring, yet I'm going to put it out there,well, for the sake of this post. ;) I constantly struggle with letting everyone and everything but me define my worth! Please tell me I'm not the only one!

Have you ever done that? I mean, I don't purposely tell myself, "Ok today, you are worth 17 cents, because this person didn't pay attention to you..." or "today you are worth $15 bucks because you got a great compliment!"but nevertheless, I do it in my own little way.


I let my circumstances, comparisons, and the way people treat me...(even if they don't even mean anything by it or realize they did it) define how I feel about myself. And I realize that is SO wrong for SO many reasons. But we all do it at times I think. We let the fact that we live paycheck to paycheck, or that our ex-boyfriend crushed us, or that we had an abusive childhood, or that some super famous blogger didn't respond to us...  suddenly make us feel sort of "unworthy." Unworthy of what? Unworthy of life? Because that's just silly, isn't it?

Yet, I struggle with this, I swear, daily!

I get this overwhelming feeling of "small." I'm just this small person, not worth someone else's precious time or I don't have the big bucks to do certain things I would love to do, so life must immediately be chalked up as boring or mundane.
That's not true.

There are only TWO things that can determine your value:

YOU and GOD!

Well, God created you with intent and purpose.  Have you ever created something you love... and were so proud of your work ....and then just trashed it?
  
No! You created it for a reason and you love your work. It's easy to see what God thinks of us and how much value he places on our lives if you just look...
"She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far Above Rubies or pearls."
(prov. 31:10)


Bur for some reason, we don't want to believe that. We are the ONLY other person that can determine our worth. We can believe what we want to about ourselves! And not only that, but every experience, sadness, rejection, hurt is only a jumping off point to help others and speak value & truth into THEIR lives!

Do you realise that?!

EVERY SINGLE hard time you have been through..
have you been through a miscarriage, have you been broken up with, have people talked bad about you, have you felt neglected or ignored, have you struggled with money, have you lost your job, have you not done as well in school as you would have liked, have your children got into trouble... whatever it is that has got you down...take those experiences... and instead of letting those things eat away at your worth, use them, grow from them, and encourage others who are going through the same things.
Personally I think the highest value is on those who've helped others. Those who have been through all kinds of crap in life, but refuse to let the "crap" define them... and instead they love others. They are an encouragement to others!

And if you use those hard experiences, those rejections as a jumping off point to be a HUGE blessing to another person, then YOUR VALUE is far above what you could ever dream! Especially in the eyes of the person whose life you spoke into. Trust me.
Even this post, is me, taking those bad thoughts about myself, those worthless thoughts, those down and out, guess I'm nobody type thoughts that try to bombard my mind...and I'm turning them around to encourage YOU to do the same thing. You get what I'm saying??
There is PRICELESS TREASURE right there, in You!
Even though I have struggled with this throughout my life, I refuse to let myself be valued in the eyes of another.. or in the eyes of what "I think" another is saying. My heart is to LOVE ON PEOPLE,and make sure they know how precious they are!!

I want to give a HUGE HUGE thanks to Polly, because I met this amazingly creative wife and mother from Wales (who knew I'd ever meet someone from Wales?).. through a re-tweet about an adspace giveaway! And I am so glad I did!

Don't forget to come visit me at The Funny Thing Of It Is, where I blog more encouragement, inspiration, fun and kid stories than I have time for!

Love you all, Julie

 thanks so much julie!! so glad that we met :) please make sure you stop by and say hi to julie - her blog is fantastic!

♥♥ stay in touch! ♥♥ follow this blog ♥♥ twitter ♥♥ facebook ♥♥ shop ♥♥

10 comments:

  1. I loved this post.

    Really spoke to me.

    Thanks for sharing this, lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post from the heart, Julie - always great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I L.O.V.E this post. I could say that again, like 8 million times. I just started reading your blog, Julie (yesterday) and already love your heart so much. This is something that I struggle with, often. Sadly, this struggle has even held me back from making friends, experiencing new things and going places. I'm working so hard right now and praying hard, to not let myself feel judged and feel worthy or unworthy because of other people. Thank you so much for this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with this for years and years. it stopped me from living hte life i wanted. i've finally in the past year managed to get it under control, but it's something that i have to make a conscious decision about everyday - to not feel judged or unworthy.

      i hope that you can overcome thsi too alyson - you deserve too so much!

      Delete
    2. it really is a daily decision, especially if something happens in particular that hurts me somehow...

      Delete
  4. AnonymousJune 21, 2012

    I love this post. I cried because it felt like you were "reading my mail". One hurtful look or word can RUIN my day! I have started realizing that I am of a royal priesthood and I am a PRINCESS and daughter of the MOST HIGH KING! He made me this way and everything he makes is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, THIS: "And if you use those hard experiences, those rejections as a jumping off point to be a HUGE blessing to another person, then YOUR VALUE is far above what you could ever dream! Especially in the eyes of the person whose life you spoke into. Trust me." is what I DO to make ALL THAT CRAP worth something! You are SUCH a blessing my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post, julie! and thanks for leading me to this fabulous blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 24, 2012

    Love this post Julie. I feel like you've written this for me.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for leaving a message. I read and appreciate every one :)