Yesterday we made these Stained Glass Cookies to hang on our tree - they make a great alternative to shop bought chocolate tree decorations. The girls love helping me bake (although I think they like licking the bowl at the end best!) A nice family christmas activity - they'd make a great gift too.
What you need:
Makes 12 cookies
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 275g (10oz) caster sugar (I cut this down to around 6 oz and they were fine!)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 525g (18oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a little milk
- a handful of hard-boiled sweets, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Place buttered greaseproof paper over two large baking sheets.
Cream together teh butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add the vanila extract and stir in the egs.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a seperate bowl. Add the egg mix and then the milk, a little at a time until it comes together into dough. Chill for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out the dough onto a floured suface until about 1/4inch thick. Cut shapes out, us a smaller cutter to make the holes and use a straw to make the hanging hole.
4. Fill each hole with a few of the crushed sweets.
5. Bake for 10 minutes. Leave the cookies on the paper and transfer the paper onto a cooling tray.
6. Thread some wool or ribbon through holes and hang on your tree!
Enjoy! x x
Enjoy! x x